Colonel Scott Rowe is the commander of the 12th Flying Training Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph. The 12 FTW is the Source of America’s Airpower, delivering unrivaled airpower leaders for the future of the U.S. Air Force. The wing consists of three flying groups and a maintenance group spanning more than 1,400 miles from JBSA-Randolph, Texas, Naval Air Station-Pensacola, Florida and the U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
The 12 FTW is responsible for four single-source aviation pipelines – Pilot Instructor Training, Combat Systems Officer Training, Remotely Piloted Aircraft Pilot Indoctrination, and Basic Sensor Operator Qualification. The wing manages all airmanship programs for USAFA cadets and Introductory Flight Training for all Air Force Airmen scheduled to enter pilot, combat systems officer, or remotely piloted aircraft training. The wing also hosts an Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals program and conducts Electronic Warfare Training for the U.S. Air Force and multi-national forces.
Prior to his current assignment, Col. Rowe was the commander of the 18th Operations Group, Kadena Air Base, Japan. Col. Rowe is a 1998 graduate of the United States Air Force Academy. He is a distinguished graduate of the United States Air Force Weapons School. Col. Rowe is a command pilot with more than 3,100 flying hours in the F-15 C/D, T-38, T-37, and KC-135.
1998 Bachelor of Science degree in Management, United States Air Force Academy, CO. 2004 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL.
2007 USAF Weapons Instructor Course, Nellis AFB, NV
2009 Master of Military Arts and Science, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL.
2009 Air Command and Staff College in correspondence
2011 U.S. Army Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, KS. 2012 Air War College in correspondence
2016 Air Force Fellow, Institute for the Study of Diplomacy, Georgetown University
2019 Leadership Decision Making, Harvard Kennedy School, Harvard University
1. November 1998 – November 1999, Student, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, MS.
2. November 1999 – February 2003, T-37 Instructor Pilot, Executive Officer, Flight Commander, 37th Flying Training Squadron, Columbus AFB, MS.
3. July 2003 – February 2004, Student, F-15C Fighter Training Unit, 2nd Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, FL.
4. February 2004 – October 2006, F-15C Instructor Pilot, Flight Commander, Chief of Advanced Programs, 60th Fighter Squadron, Eglin AFB, FL.
5. October 2006 – October 2008, Instructor Pilot, Weapons Officer, 422nd Test and Evaluation Squadron, Nellis AFB, NV.
6. October 2008 – June 2010, Instructor Pilot, Flight Examiner, Assistant Director of Operations, Chief of Wing Weapons and Tactics, 19th Fighter Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, AK.
7. June 2010 – October 2011, Student, Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, KS.
8. October 2011 – July 2013, Instructor Pilot, Flight Examiner, Director of Operations, 44th Fighter Squadron, Kadena AB, Japan.
9. July 2013 – June 2015, Instructor Pilot, Flight Examiner, Commander, 44th Fighter Squadron, Kadena AB, Japan.
10. June 2015 – June 2016, Air Force Fellow, Georgetown University, Washington DC
11. June 2016 –May 2018 Vice Chief, Office of Military Cooperation – Kuwait, U.S. Embassy, Kuwait City, Kuwait
12. June 2018 – May 2020, Commander, 18th Operations Group, Kadena AB, Japan
13. July 2020 - Present, Commander, 12th Flying Training Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, TX.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. June 2016 – May 2018, Vice Chief, Office of Military Cooperation-Kuwait, U.S. Embassy, Kuwait City, Kuwait, as a Colonel
Rating: Command Pilot Flight Hours: More than 3,100
Aircraft flown: F-15C, T-38, T-37, KC-135
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant 27 May 1998
First Lieutenant 27 May 2000
Captain 27 May 2002
Major 1 October 2007
Lieutenant Colonel 1 December 2011
Colonel 1 May 2017
(Current as of July 2020)