Chief Master Sergeant Joseph A. Stuart is the Command Chief Master Sergeant, 12th Flying Training Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas. The 12 FTW is the “Source of America’s Airpower” delivering unrivaled airpower leaders for the future of the U.S. Air Force. The wing consists of three flying groups and a maintenance group spanning more than 1,400 miles from JBSA-Randolph, Texas, Naval Air Station-Pensacola, Florida and the U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado. The wing is responsible for four single-source aviation pipelines and operates 284 aircraft executing 545 sorties daily, training over 3,700 students annually.
Chief Stuart executes the commander’s intent and advises the senior staff on all matters affecting the training, education, readiness, utilization, health, welfare and morale of 1,851 permanently assigned officer, enlisted and civilian personnel. As a lead mission partner for the Department of Defense’s largest joint base, Chief Stuart represents the wing on civic and installation committees and councils in unifying quality of life efforts for over 80,000 personnel and their families assigned to Joint Base San Antonio.
Chief Stuart grew up in Bartonville, Illinois and entered the Air Force in August 1994. He graduated from technical training as an Aircraft Command, Control, Communications and Navigation Systems apprentice and subsequently cross trained into the Airborne Communications and Electronics Specialty career field in 1997. He has served in numerous leadership roles at the detachment, squadron, group and combatant command levels. Chief Stuart has deployed in support of Operations Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom and Inherent Resolve.
Chief Stuart is a Career Enlisted Aviator with over 5,300 flight hours on the E-4B, E-8C, E-6B, E-3B/C/G, KC-135R/T, and HH-60G including more than 600 combat hours.
1999 Airman Leadership School, Offutt AFB, Neb.
2005 Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
2007 Additional Duty First Sergeant Symposium, USAF First Sergeant Academy, McGuire AFB, N.J.
2008 Associate in Applied Science Degree, Information Systems Technology, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 Senior Enlisted Joint PME Correspondence Course, Joint Forces Staff College, National Defense
University, Norfolk, Va.
2010 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2013 Professional Management Certificate, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2017 Chief Master Sergeant’s Leadership Course, Maxwell-Gunter AFB, Ala.
2017 General Radiotelephone Operator License, Federal Communications Commission
2021 Command Chief Master Sergeant Training Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
2021 Bachelor of Science, Aeronautics (Cum Laude), Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Daytona Beach, Fla.
1. August 1994 – September 1994, trainee, Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. September 1994 – July 1995, student, Aircraft Command, Control, Communications and Navigation Systems course, Keesler AFB, Miss.
3. July 1995 – March 1997, E-4B Communications & Navigation Systems Specialist, 1st Airborne Command Control Squadron, Offutt AFB, Neb.
4. March 1997 – September 1999, E-4B Inflight Mission Systems Specialist and E-4B Technical Control Instructor, 1st Airborne Command Control Squadron, Offutt AFB, Neb.
5. September 1999 – May 2000, Student, JSTARS Communications Systems Technician course, 93rd Training Squadron, Robins AFB, Ga.
6. May 2000 – March 2004, E-8C Communications Systems Technician Instructor, Evaluator and NCOIC, Standardizations and Evaluations, 16th Airborne Command Control Squadron, Robins AFB, Ga.
7. March 2004 – July 2009, E-8C Communication Systems Test & Development Manager, Joint STARS Test Force, Melbourne, Fla.
8. July 2009 – August 2013, Manager, NAOC Advanced Programs Office, National Airborne Operations Center, USSTRATCOM/J36, Offutt AFB, Neb.
9. August 2013 – February 2014, E-3 Airborne Mission Systems Specialist Student, 552nd Training Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
10. February 2014 – June 2014, Squadron Superintendent, 964th Airborne Air Control Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
10. June 2014 – March 2017, Squadron Superintendent and Chief Enlisted Manager, 963nd Airborne Air Control Squadron, Tinker AFB, Okla.
11. March 2017 – October 2018, Chief Enlisted Manager, 961st Airborne Air Control Squadron, Kadena Air Base, Japan
12. October 2018 – July 2020, Superintendent, 18th Operations Group, Kadena Air Base, Japan
13. July 2020 – May 2021, Superintendent, 8th Operations Group, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea
14. May 2021 – Present, Command Chief Master Sergeant, 12th Flying Training Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with nine oak leaf clusters Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal Air Force Achievement Medal
1999 Distinguished Graduate, Airman Leadership School
2003 Noncommissioned Officer of the Year, 116th Air Control Wing
2005 Noncommissioned Officer of the Year, Joint STARS Test Force
2008 Senior Noncommissioned Officer of the Year, 505th Operations Group
2010 Senior Noncommissioned Officer of the Year, National Airborne Operations Center
2015 Senior Noncommissioned Officer of the Year, 552nd Operations Group
2017 Air Force Association Airborne Air Battle Management Crew of the Year
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Chief Master Sergeant March 1, 2016
(Current as of June 2021)