Colonel R. Joe “Leche” Moschella is the Commander, 12th Operations Group, 12th Flying Training Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas. The group is responsible for introduction to fighter fundamentals student and instructor upgrade missions, as well as the Air Force’s pilot instructor training, undergraduate remotely piloted aircraft pilot training, and basic sensor operator training programs. The group consists of five flying training squadrons, an operations support squadron, and a training squadron with more than 350 flying instructors, 20 enlisted members, and 282 DoD civilians and contractors who collectively produce more than 1,100 graduates per year.
Prior to assuming his current position, Col. Moschella was the Division Chief of Air Combat Command’s Test & Training Division, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia. As Division Chief, Col. Moschella was responsible for planning, programming and advocating for CAF operational training infrastructure and test activities for Air Combat Command Headquarters.
Col. Moschella commissioned through the Air Force ROTC in 1998, graduating from the University of California, San Diego with a Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering. Subsequently, he attended Undergraduate Pilot Training at Columbus Air Force Base, Mississippi. Col. Moschella has extensive operational experience in the Combat Air Forces as a B-1B evaluator pilot and Air Liaison Officer. He has flown combat missions in operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom.
1998 Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, University of California at San Diego, Calif.
2010 Masters of Aeronautical Science degree, Embry-Riddle University, Fla.
2010 Masters of Military Operational Art and Science degree, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2017 Masters of Strategic Studies degree, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. August 1998 – March 1999, Executive Officer to the Commander, 4th Airlift Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
2. April 1999 – April 2000, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus AFB, Texas
3. May 2000 – December 2000, Student, B-1B Initial Qualification Training, Dyess AFB, Texas
4. January 2000 – September 2002, B-1B Pilot, 9th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas.
5. October 2002 – November 2004, Air Liaison Officer, 13th Air Support Operations Squadron, Ft. Carson AIN, Colo.
6. December 2004 – March 2005, Student, B-1B Requalification Training, Dyess AFB, Texas.
7. April 2005 – May 2007, Flight Commander and Instructor Pilot, 9th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas.
8. June 2007 – June 2009, Chief Pilot, Wing Stan/Eval, 7th Bomb Wing, Dyess AFB, Texas.
9. July 2009 – June 2010, Student, USAF Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. July 2010 – June 2011, Chief, Conventional International Treaties, AF/A5XP, Pentagon, District of Columbia.
11. July 2011 – June 2012, Executive Officer to Dir of Plans, Policy, Strategy, AF/A5X, Pentagon, District of Columbia
12. July 2012 – October 2012, AF/A5XJ, Pentagon, District of Columbia
13. November 2012 – February 2014, Director of Operations, 28th Bomb Squadron, Dyess AFB, Texas
14. March 2014 – May 2014, Student, T-6A Pilot Instructor Training, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas
15. July 2014 – June 2016, Commander, 434th Flying Training Squadron, Laughlin AFB, Texas
15. July 2016 – May 2017, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Texas
16. June 2017 – August 2018, Deputy, ACC Airspace, Ranges, Airfield Operations Division, Joint Base Langley-
17. September 2018 – August 2019, Chief, ACC Future Operations Division, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
18. September 2019 – June 2020, Chief, ACC Test and Training Division, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.
19. July 2020 – Present, Commander, 12th Operations Group, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 2,500
Aircraft flown: T-6A, B-1B, T-38, T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant July 25, 1998
First Lieutenant July 25, 2000
Captain July 25, 2002
Major May 1, 2008
Lieutenant Colonel September 1, 2013
Colonel October 1, 2019
(Current as of July 2020)