Colonel Matthew R. Domsalla is the Vice Commander of the 12th Flying Training Wing, Joint Base San Antonio, Texas. The 12 FTW is the Source of America's Airpower, delivering unrivaled airpower leaders for the future of the U.S. Air Force. The wing consists of three flying groups and a maintenance group spanning more than 1,400 miles from JBSA-Randolph, Texas, Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida and to the U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado.
The 12 FTW is responsible for four single-source aviation pipelines, Pilot Instructor Training, Combat Systems Officer Training, Remotely Piloted Aircraft Pilot Indoctrination, and Basic Sensor Operator Qualification. The wing manages all airmanship programs for U.S. Air Force Academy cadets, and Introductory Flight Training for all Air Force officers scheduled to enter pilot, combat systems officer, or remotely piloted aircraft training. The wing also hosts an Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals program and conducts Electronic Warfare Training for the U.S. Air Force and multi-national forces.
Previously Col. Domsalla served as the commander, Air Force Materiel Command Detachment 1 and chief of Flight Operations and Standardization/Evaluation Division, Directorate of Air, Space and Cyberspace Operations, Headquarters AFMC. He received his commission from the United States Air Force Academy in May 1997 and deployed in support of operations SOUTHERN WATCH, ENDURING FREEDOM, and IRAQI FREEDOM.
Col. Domsalla is a command pilot with more than 2,000 hours in 30 different aircraft including the A-10A/C, F-16C/D, F-15D/E, MiG-15, P-51, and RQ-4.
1997 Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1999 Master of Public Policy, Harvard Kennedy School of Government, Cambridge, Mass.
2004 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2007 Air Command and Staff College (Correspondence)
2007 Master of Science in Flight Test Engineering, Air University, Edwards AFB, Calif.
2008 Intermediate Developmental Education Fellow, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, Arlington, Va.
2012 Master of Philosophy in Military Strategy, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2014 Air War College (Correspondence)
2018 CSAF Senior Developmental Education Fellow, Blue Horizons Program, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. June 1997 – May 1999, Graduate Student, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
2. June 1999 – September 2000, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin AFB, Texas
3. October 2000 – December 2000, Student, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, 435th Flying Training Squadron, Randolph AFB, Texas
4. January 2001 – June 2001, Student, A-10 Formal Training Unit, 357th Fighter Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
5. July 2001 – October 2003, A/OA-10A Pilot, Squadron Scheduling Officer, 75th Fighter Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
6. November 2003 – October 2004, A/OA-10A Pilot, Chief of Flight Safety, 23d Fighter Group, Pope AFB, N.C .
7. November 2004 – September 2005, A/OA-10A Instructor Pilot, Flight Commander, 25th Fighter Squadron, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea
8. October 2005 – November 2006, A/OA-10A Evaluator Pilot, Chief of A-10 Standardization and Evaluation, 51st Operations Group, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea
9. December 2006 – December 2007, Student, United States Air Force Test Pilot School, Edwards AFB, Calif.
10. January 2008 – October 2009, A-10C and F-16C/D Developmental Test Pilot, A-10C Flight Test Flight Commander, 40th Flight Test Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
11. November 2009 – June 2010, A-10C and F-16C/D Developmental Test Pilot, Assistant Director of Operations, 40th Flight Test Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
12. July 2010 – June 2011, Air Force Fellow, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, Arlington, Va.
13. July 2011 – June 2012, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
14. July 2012 – May 2013, Director of Operations, Global Vigilance CTF, Edwards AFB, Calif.
15. June 2013 – June 2015, Director, Global Vigilance CTF, Edwards AFB, Calif.
16. July 2015 – June 2017, Commander, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, Detachment 3, Poway, Calif.
17. July 2017 – June 2018, CSAF SDE Fellow, Blue Horizons Program, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
18. July 2018 – June 2019, Commander AFMC, Detachment 1 and AFMC Chief of Flight Operations and Standardization/Evaluation Division, Eglin AFB, Fla.
19. July 2019 – Present, Vice Commander, 12th Flying Training Wing, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight Hours: More than 2,000
Aircraft flown: A-10A/C, F-16C/D, F-15D/E, MiG-15, P-51, RQ-4, U-2,
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1997
First Lieutenant May 28, 1999
Captain May 28, 2001
Major November 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel February 1, 2012
Colonel July 1, 2018
Society of Experimental Test Pilots, Member
(Current as of July 2019)